Drawing Goes Digital: Why Artists Are Making The Switch
Nowadays, more and more artists are swapping paper and paintbrushes with tablets and styluses. The art world is going through a big change as more artists move from traditional methods to digital platforms. This shift is happening for several reasons, and all of them offer unique perks that are hard to ignore.
1. Art with No Borders
I believe one of the best things about digital tools is how flexible they are. You can play around with different textures, colours, and techniques without stressing about messing up. This allows artists to explore and lets them stretch their capabilities even further, thanks to features like undo, redo, and layers. They can easily try bold ideas, remix old work, or test out different styles with just a few clicks. You can get creative, take risks, and have fun without any pressure—it's all part of the process.
2. No Supplies? No Problem!
Digital art is a great and modern way to express creativity without relying on materials like canvases, paints, and brushes. This means less mess and lower costs, which can be a big relief if you're on a budget. This also means that there is no need for maintenance. Plus, it’s a fantastic way to make art available to more people, even if they don't have a lot of resources or the money to buy the supplies. It's also great for the planet as it saves natural resources.
3. Click, Create, Connect
Thanks to digital drawing platforms and social media, artists around the world can connect, collaborate, and share their work with a global audience like never before. Tools like Procreate, Adobe Photoshop, and Clip Studio Paint give artists the freedom to express and share their creativity. They can even earn money with their art through commissions and merchandise. Artists can receive instant feedback, build their brand, and even launch careers from their home studios. With just a tablet and an internet connection, anyone can become a part of the global art scene.

A Personal Story: Nelson Makamo's Journey
Nelson Makamo, a renowned South African artist, struggled with limited access to traditional art supplies early in his career. Growing up in a rural area, he faced financial hardships and lacked art education. But digital platforms became his gateway to the world of art.
Makamo recalls, “I started experimenting with digital art because I didn't have access to art stores or materials. It was a game changer- it allowed me to create freely without constraints”. His perseverance paid off; today, Makamo’s vibrant portraits and illustrations have graced galleries worldwide, making him a symbol of resilience and innovation. Know more about Nelson Makamo on everardlondon.com.
Same Skills, New Tools
It's understandable to hesitate about diving into digital art, especially when you're used to the feel of a canvas or the way ink flows on paper. Those hands-on experiences are such a big part of being an artist. But digital art has its perks too! Going digital doesn't mean ditching everything you've learned with traditional art; it just gives you more tools to express yourself in new ways. As tech evolves, there's an amazing chance to push your creativity further and explore new possibilities while keeping your unique artistic vibe alive.
Personally, I prefer traditional art mediums. These mediums, such as oil paints, watercolours, charcoal, and pencil colours, offer an experience that digital mediums often cannot replicate. The paintings feel more "real", and it also takes some time for you to learn and get used to digital art. I’ve tried digital art 5 to 6 times; it takes some getting used to, but I enjoyed exploring all the different tools. Once I got the hang of it, I ended up creating a piece I was genuinely proud of.
Finding Your Own Way in Art
I’ve always loved the feeling of holding a pencil, the smell of paint, and the texture of paper. But after a while, I started getting curious. I gave digital art a try—not expecting much—and ended up completely surprised. Even though I still enjoy traditional art more, I’ve started to see the benefits of digital art too. It takes time to get used to, but once you do, it can be a really cool way to express yourself. Both traditional and digital art have their strengths, but in the end, there’s no right or wrong way to make art. Just your way. And that’s what makes it so powerful.
So don’t be afraid to explore, mix things up, or try something new—you never know what you’ll create or discover about yourself.
“My work is inspired by my existence, by the fact that I can wake up every day and see the movement around me”- Nelson Makamo.
Comments
Post a Comment